Monday, February 16, 2009

Surgery - He's a CHAMP!!

Our lil man is CHAMP!! He came through his tubes surgery without a problem.

The alarm clock rang at 5:00, we were to report to the hospital by 6:30. Greg and I both took showers and prepared ourselves for what we thought would be a long morning. After getting ourselves ready we went and woke our lil man up for the biggest day of his life. We had one breathing treatment left to do and then we would be on our way. We arrived at the hospital right at 630, (too close to call for me, I would have been there at 6:00, but Greg insisted that leaving the house at 6 would be fine. I was right, we needed to leave earlier, nonetheless, we arrived right on time), we got our champ registered for surgery, and then waited!! At about 6:50, they called us back to the operating prep-room. Cutter fell in love with his nurse, Kathy, she did a great job at keeping him entertained while she did the things she needed to do - get his blood pressure, listen to his heart, and get a pulse ox. We got him dressed in his little gown and he was all ready to go. All we needed was to meet the anesthesiologist, Dr. Moore, see the ENT doctor, Dr West, and he would be on his way. While we were waiting for Dr. Moore, all the nurses came over and just loved on Cutter. That made him happy. He was in a GREAT mood all morning, despite not having anything to eat or drink since 8 pm the previous night.Dr. Moore came and we talked about Cutter having any allergies, any health issues, the plan of action. Cutter would just be sedated with a "laughing" gas. No IV or intubating needed here! He requested that Cutter be given a "calming" medicine with was given orally. It took about 10 minutes for the "calming" medicine to take effect, but once it did, Cutter got the giggles!! Here he is laughing at Daddy.Dr. West came by to talk to us and let us know that the surgery would only take about 15 minutes and that we should wait in the waiting room right outside the prep-room, he would come get us when it was over. Daddy handed Cutter over to the surgery nurse and Mommy started BAWLING her eyes out!! I couldn't stop crying. I gave Cutter one last kiss and one last "I love you" before he left. Before I knew it, he was laughing with the nurse and walking away from me. My little boy was being such a BIG BOY!!Greg and I went out to the waiting room and discussed finding me something to eat (I was feeling nauseous) . There was a cafe down the hall and I needed some toast, so off Daddy went. While he was gone, literally 15 minutes, Dr. West came out to tell me that Cutter did GREAT and he was all done! There wasn't much fluid and his ear weren't protruding like we thought they would be, so everything went off with a hitch. "Great, so when can I see my baby?" I asked. He told me they would come get me in 10-15 minutes. Dr. Moore came out 2 minutes later to tell me that he was the best baby he had ever sedated, he NEVER cried! I was so proud of him. 10 minutes later the recovery room nurse came to get us and warned us that most babies cry for up to an hour, they are quite sure why they feel the way they feel, and that he wasn't in any pain. Cutter didn't start crying until he saw us and there wasn't much consoling I could do (which is frustrating, by the way). It took us about 15 minutes to get him to calm down, some cranberry juice, an orange Popsicle later - we were out the door and into the truck! Time: 830. We got our little champ home and fed him some homemade pancakes and he all well. They were right when they said you wouldn't even know he had surgery by 10. He was still on cloud 9 when I made him lay down and he was out for 3 hours. After he got up from a nap, he was in the greatest mood, swinging his arms and having a good ole time CLIMBING on the coffee table. That is a first, which I will post photos from his climbing in action later, I don't know if he has a new daredevil attitude now or if he was just feeling that good. Whatever it is I am glad that I have my happy little CHAMP back!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad he did so well!!! Yay! He's a trooper :) Lexi's had more ear infections than I can count... we keep talking tubes and then she'll go 6 months without one. *sigh* Caly hasn't had one yet, thankfully, so maybe I'll get a reprieve. We'll see how the next one fares.

    He's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete